Canker sores also known as mouth ulcers are commonly seen today. So what are canker sores? Well, they are sores in the mouth which can be quite painful. They are yellowish-white sores which not only make it difficult to eat and drink but, also cause immense pain, inflammation, burning sensations, swollen lymph nodes and even fever at times. They aren’t contagious and can develop on various parts of the mouth such as the cheek, the tongue, the lip and the lower and upper gums. They are quite often confused with cold sores.
However, canker sores are quite different from cold sores. Cold sores are caused due to the herpes virus, appearing as a number of blisters outside the lip and are highly contagious. Canker sores can be easily avoided if the cause is known.
Canker sores are caused mainly due to immunity and nutritional deficiencies, but they can also be caused by stress, viral infections, dental braces, refined and processed foods. They generally disappear within 10-14 days, but would you really want to wait that long, and suffer the pain? I honestly don’t think so, so these are a few home remedies that would help get rid of canker sores fast.
Top 10 Remedies:
1) Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is easily available and is one of the best remedies for canker sores. It’s antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, curative properties help ease the pain, along with speeding up the curing process. All you need to do is:
- Extract fresh Aloe Vera from the Aloe Vera leaf and apply it directly on the sore. You need to do this several times a day to speed up the curing process. If fresh Aloe Vera is not available store bought Aloe Vera gel would work similarly.
- Rinse you mouth with fresh or store bough Aloe Vera juice, at least 3 or 4 times a day.
- Drinking two table spoons of Aloe Vera juice thrice a day would also be highly beneficial.
2) Baking Soda
Baking soda not only helps sooth the inflammation and the pain, but also neutralizes the acidity. Hence being one of the most effective solutions. Baking soda is easily available and easy to use. It can be used in the following methods:
- Make a smooth paste by adding appropriate amounts of water to one tablespoon of baking soda, and apply the paste on the sore with the help of a cotton ball or your finger. Let the paste sit on the affected area for a few minutes before rinsing your mouth with lukewarm water. Practice this method at least 3 – 4 times a day.
- Mix two teaspoons of baking soda in a warm glass of water, and rinse your mouth with it at least 4 – 5 times a day.
Salt is a well known canker sore cure as it helps draw the fluids from the sore, hence speeding the curing process. The best ways to use salt are:
- In a cup of lukewarm water add one teaspoon of salt, and rinse your mouth with it at least 4 – 5 times a day.
- After rinsing your mouth you can also put a pinch of salt, or a small cube of rock salt directly on the sore. Even though it might hurt, it will speed the healing process.
Coriander helps reduce the pain and discomfort got from canker sores, as it possesses antiseptic, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. It can be used in the following methods:
- In a bowl boil water, measuring a cup, along with a handful of coriander leaves. Strain the concussion, letting it cool till it turns lukewarm. Gargle and rinse your mouth with the lukewarm water, continuing the process at least 3 – 4 times a day.
- Boil water measuring a cup and add one teaspoon coriander seeds to it. Allow it to sit for a few minutes till it turns lukewarm, then rinse your mouth with it. Repeat the process 3 – 4 times a day.
- Extract the juice of a good amount of coriander leaves and let it sit in your mouth for a while before gulping it down.
Onions have been used by plenty people to cure canker sores, as it possesses anti-bacterial properties helping speedy recovery. The best way to use the onion would be:
- Gently hold a piece or a slice of onion against the sore for about 5 minutes, allowing the juice to soak into the sore.
- Extract the juice of a few onions and apply the juice directly over the sore.
Honey is a sweet and easily available remedy. It’s antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties are a great boon in healing a canker sore. The best ways to use honey are:
- Apply honey around the canker sore letting it sit for a while. It would cause pain but, moments later the pain and inflammation would ease. Apply 1 – 2 drops or 1 teaspoon of honey several times a day.
- Apply fine paste made of one teaspoon honey and one-quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder, on the sore leaving it for a few minutes, before rinsing it with lukewarm water. Repeat this process at least twice a day.
7) Turmeric Powder
Turmeric powder is used as a healing agent for many bruises, illnesses and Ayurveda treatments, similarly it is highly effective when it comes to canker sores. It can be used the following ways:
- Make a fine paste of turmeric powder with a few drops of coconut oil and apply on the sore. Leave the paste on overnight for best results, then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Apply a sufficient amount of turmeric paste ( a paste of turmeric powder and water) over the sore and allow it to sit for a few minutes.
Yogurt contains probiotic that is the friendly lactobacillus acidophilus bacteria, which are live organisms found in the digestive track, hence being good for the health. Due to this property yogurt is one of the most effective remedies. Before proceeding I would like to mention that only unflavored yogurt with no artificial colouring should be used. Below are the methods of using it:
- Eat at least 8 ounces of yogurt everyday. While consuming the yogurt swirl it wound your mouth, and over the sore before consuming it.
- Apply or dab some yogurt over the sore and leave it for a while.
9) Coconut Oil
Coconut oil prevents canker sores due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties, helping speed up the healing process. The best ways to use coconut oil would be:
- Using the paste made from coconut oil and turmeric powder as mentioned above.
- Soak a cotton ball in coconut oil and dab it over the sore. Repeat this process whenever the pain increases, or as regularly as you can.
- Drop a few drops of coconut oil on the sore and leave it for a while before rinsing with lukewarm water.
- Place a spoon full of soil coconut oil over the sore and let it melt over the sore. Swirl it around your mouth and over the sore before gulping it. Repeat as often as you can.
10) Black Or Green Tea Bag
A tea bag that is used contains tannic acid. Tannic acid is a type of astringent that not only helps heal the sore fast but also helps reduce pain and inflammation. The tea bag has to be moist, i.e. it has to be used. The following are the ways a moist black or green tea bag can be used:
- Put the tea bag in the refrigerator for a few minutes after making a cup of tea. Press the chilled tea bad against the sore for about 15 – 20 mins. Repeat this process at least 2 – 3 times a day.
- Apply a damp tea bag to the sore for 5 mins.
These were a few effective home remedies for canker sores which would definitely help cure the canker sore faster. Though the best way to prevent canker sores would be:
- Lower your stress and anxiety levels this causes bad health and is one of the main reasons of canker sores
- Avoid mouth injuries as much as you can. Come on all we need to do is chew carefully right?
- Avoid fidgeting with your dental braces. I know its irritating and you feel like fidgeting with them but, they are sharp enough to cut your cheeks.
- Avoid spicy and acidic foods no matter how much you love them. They irritate the canker sore and make it more painful
- Eat a healthy diet that provides your body with the vitamins and minerals it needs.
- Improve your immune system with a healthy and timely diet. Fast foods look good and taste amazing but, a healthy diet is what your body requires.
These remedies are sure to help, and if you take care of your health, then canker sores would only be a myth to you. After all health is wealth.